Benign Strangers

It’s quite strange to quote strange experiences in this strange place!

To elucidate further,  Last Saturday we were hopping in some markets in London trying to shop for our daughter. After raiding few shops we ended  up in this store, exhausted and tired.  I preferred to sit on a tuffet and pleaded my husband to look for the things he had to buy. As soon as I sat, an elderly woman came with her clan and sat beside me. She looked equally tired like me. We briefly exchanged glances,  I unwaveringly smiled and she responded . She seemed interested in looking at me and my daughter. So, I uttered few words about how my daughter keeps me busy. She said she was there for her grand daughter who was going to turn twelve next month on 10th and since it's their school summer break, she would be taking her to her homeland, Paris. All her relatives from her husband's side were there in France and they were planning for a nice family reunion along with her grand daughter's birthday treat! 
What a sheer coincidence! I told her that my daughter would turn four on the same day -same month! She looked intently at Siya who was busy twirling, dancing, glancing at the mirrors and singing! Siya turned and sneaked a look at the girl who was dressed like a boy. Finding bit odd  for her young mind, she said, " Mama! Why is she not wearing a Frock ?" Before I could say anything, the lovely lady said," I was telling my grand daughter that she shares the same birth day and month and look she is wearing a frock, so why can't you wear one?"
The girl shyly smiled and went to see her mother who was busy trying some clothes. While the old lady started talking to me. She said she likes the people who really care for their children and look for their needs. As per her opinion, family is very important and she takes her family from London to meet her relatives in Paris every year. 
Meanwhile to our dismay, Siya and that girl picked up the same dress unknowingly, I retorted, “They have struck some chords!” I don't know what clicked in that girl's mind, she bought that frock and the old lady happily said, "She would be wearing one for the first time. All these eleven years she had never worn a frock!" Well!! what could have I said!! It was a sheer zodiac effect or just an impression!! That one hour in that GAP showroom was a delight. I had almost forgotten the wide chasm of language, culture and background!!!
I had almost travelled with her to the beautiful city of Paris. In the lap of the Eiffel Tower, I had almost told her numerous stories of my great Nation!! Oh!! but Hang on!!! I heard something else, "What??! Oh!! you had a nice time here with me!! Me too!!" Smilingly, she gave a flying kiss to Siya  and wished her happy b'day in advance! Well!! I did the same with her grand daughter! Though, after her kind gesture, my mind kept thinking, ' Was she expecting this from me or not??' Following the complete ritual, we all bid good bye to each other while I kept thinking in my mind's eye that strangers are sometimes benign and  not strange after all!!
These colossal chasms of language, culture, background and religion fall far shallower when the human values, kindness and sheer warmth fill the depths of the hearts of people.

Comments

Post a Comment

Good

Popular posts from this blog

Siya's first Friend

Despair